Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Done

Finally, the post-KC career has ended. Trips I made this summer to "hot spots" that needed an extra pair of hands are done, the fires all having long ago burned out. A month in Detroit, a couple of weeks in Minneapolis and finally ten days of hell in Denver. I am sort of glad they are letting me go after Denver. I really wouldn't want to deal with their retail program there again.


As much as I love Colorado I couldn't go reprise all that nonsense in the Denver shop. I found the staff arrogant and the other folks they flew in pompous. If I could buy just one of them for what they're worth then turn around and sell them for what they think they're worth, I wouldn't need to file for unemployment. Never have I witnessed such an unhealthy abundance of self-esteem and curiously, never have I seen such a disorganized startup.


I worked 50 out of 72 hours at one stretch, which leaves just enough time to go home, eat something, sleep and go back to work. And it doesn't get you that much sleep. For that I wound up without a "Thanks for your help," "Appreciate you hanging in there with us," or even a "Just go to Hell and don't come back." No traditional hospitality room and no pizza in the conference room. Not even a clean lab coat every day. Borderline disdainful on their part, and I am getting a little old for this.


So now, back at home in the comfort of my own swivel chair, I am told that no other assignments are forthcoming in exotic places like Detroit which signals the end of employment with this company and the end of a long, not particularly distinguished career. That's OK. Lufthansa is difficult to work for and seems to enjoy squeezing the Americans it employs. I haven't got a raise in 7 years. I actually took a promotion and lost money.


One thing strikes me after all this traveling: We are a nation of immigrants. In Detroit, you need to learn to speak Arabic. In Minneapolis, Somali. In Denver, of course, Spanish. Look around and recognize the buildings, factories, names on the map and mountains. But listen and you might think you're in Yemen.


It is, thus, good to be home. Now begins the long search for suitable work. The position I want doesn't exist so I will have to settle for what I can get. Hopefully I won't need to learn a foreign language.

One more word on air travel: Don't. Drive or take the train. Planes are crowded and airlines/airports/TSA are disdainful of us who pay their wages. Indeed, the golden age of air travel (if one existed) is long past. I suppose if you are going to Australia it's inevitable, but to St. Louis or Dallas? Take a second look in the driveway.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment