Thursday, February 5, 2009

Everyone has a first day

OK, here goes. This is my first posting.

Today is February 5th. I was ever so happy to wave goodbye to January this year. It was cold -- yeah, I know it is supposed to be cold in north Missouri in January but it seemed colder than usual. My younger daughter was in a car wreck, but thankfully she is fine. Her car, which she loved, is totaled. [I have to admit I liked it too.] And we got the new President for whom I did not vote. You have to like the guy just for wanting the job, but I really hope he doesn't follow through on some of the things he said he would do. But that is a discussion for another time.

The bleakest aspect of January wasn't the snow or the grey clouds but the loss of one John Cherne. John died Jan. 27th, still a young man at 66 years old. He had been the TWA station manager here in Kansas City for many years, having worked his way up from the ramp. John was a big bear of a man, and a Type A personality. You never had to wonder what he was thinking or what he thought of what you had just done. He was quick to let you know. While I didn't work for TWA, I did work for companies that brought me into contact with him so I knew all about him. He roared at his employees when they misbehaved or erred, which was often. Some resented him but most knew that he was a good-hearted fellow with a short fuse and an imposing posture. He was equally hard on fuelers, the FAA, and particularly the City Aviation Department, which is the airport 'landlord.' None escaped his wrath; he discriminated against no one. But he always had a good word for me or a funny story or a choice description about the latest gaffe from the City or TWA., and I genuinely liked the man.

After TWA was consumed by American Airlines, the TWA managers were forced out. John quickly became the local manager for Delta Global Service, telling me every time I saw him what a great experience DGS was compared to TWA. Gone was the union/management bickering, the lack of corporate leadership, the antics of employees that made the airplanes run late or not at all -- and the failing of the company itself. Not dealing with all of that comforted him and I am glad he enjoyed his last few years at DGS.

Few of those who worked with him realized how generous he was with his time at St. Therese Church, as a volunteer at the hospital or in years past with Scouting. He really loved his family and was there for them. He knew everyone, befriended many and believe me, they all showed up at his wake.

I remember when my dad died one of my grandfather's friends told me "God takes the good people when they are young." Perhaps that is the case. I think those of us who knew John are all a little richer for having known him.

So I am glad to put January in the rear-view mirror. February gets us a little closer to Spring, and how can that be bad?

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm going to like this! Good job on your first blog!

    ReplyDelete