Tuesday, February 10, 2009

God helps those who help themselves...

I just have to get this off my chest.

The President was in Florida Tuesday morning promoting his "Porkulus" stimulus plan. At the end of his presentation I guess he opened it up for Q and A. What I heard embarrassed me . These are my fellow Americans.

Listening on the radio, I heard three people address the Chief Executive. The first, a woman,was in tears because she didn't have a large enough car, and she had lost her home. She really didn't have a question so much as to simply display her tearful misery to the President and all who would care to listen. She begged him for help. Who could not have empathy for this woman, but you wonder if she had used any of the state services available to people in dire straits.


The next speaker didn't think it was right that he is laid off from his $3000+-a-month job and only receives $1100 from Florida in unemployment compensation. He felt the federal government should make up the difference so he could continue to draw full salary, presumably while not engaging in work. He sounded a little indignant about it. He was far and away the most disturbing of the three.

The last speaker of note was Julio, a college student. He had worked at McDonald's for over four years and wondered how he could get "better benefits." I wondered how he worked at Mickey D's for that long and wasn't a manager, with good pay and all kinds of benefits. He wanted to be in broadcasting; unfortunately he was barely able to communicate his thoughts at all. His syntax was so poor that I really wasn't sure what he said. I guess he could work for CBS news. I heard a local station offered him an internship. Good luck, Julio.

I wonder what the President must have thought. He was gracious and kindly, but to hear these people--only one of whom was truly destitute--warming up for Jerry Springer had to give him pause. They were all wanting him, the government, anyone really, to make things better for them. What seemed lacking was any interest in or evidence of helping themselves. I have been unemployed. It's a humbling experience. But you try not to make it everyone else's problem too, and look for a way to right yourself.


In January, 1961, President Kennedy exhorted us in his inaugural address to "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." It inspired, and still inspires, many. Could no one in Fort Meyers have stood up to say they would enlist in the Army or plant a garden or register with Social Services or turn off the TV and look for a job? They didn't, and I was embarrassed for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment